shabby clouds

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yeah, he's mine.

I have a little story for you, about how human kindness can affect everyone around us.

Yesterday there was no school so my nephew Austin came over to hang out with us while his mom was at work. Elle was out for preschool too and it was a cloudy yucky day so I decided to take all the kids to this really cool McDonald's play place to let them play and have lunch. We were all sitting down eating when I realized I needed Mayo packets to make fry sauce for everyone ( I love fry sauce and I will make it when not provided!). I asked Austin to go get it so I could sit with the little kids.

Austin was gone for about 10 minutes. Way too long to run up to the counter to ask for Mayo. I started getting nervous, I couldn't see the order counter from where I was, so I got up, leaving my own kids to wander away and saw that Austin was standing at the counter getting the packets. "Odd", I thought. There wasn't very many people in line.

When Austin came back and sat down he said "do you know what took me so long?" "What" I said. "There was a man with crutches trying to carry his food tray back to his table and he wasn't going to make it, so I got out of line and asked if I could help him. He said yes, so I carried his food for him so he wouldn't drop it, and he said thanks! But then I had to get in the back of the line again."

My eye's immediately misted over right there. You see, Austin is only 8 years old. Some how an 8 year old boy knew that he could help someone who needed him. I saw plenty of Adults and older kids in that line but it was Austin who noticed him and gave up his place in line without a thought to run over and help this guy. As we were leaving, this guy flagged me down and asked "is Austin yours?" I gave it a moments thought, and decided for simplicity's sake to just say "yeah, he's mine". The man then recounted the story for me again, saying that it was completely spontaneous and how grateful he was that Austin had helped him. He had a huge smile on his face from ear to ear. It looked to me like he had brought his 4 year old son by himself- crutches and all- to play.

Sometimes we have our eye's set so keenly on our goals we forget to stop and look around. Maybe there's someone we too can help who "isn't going to make it". And that can make all the difference for that one person. We too can be like a certain 8 year old boy to make this world happier for everyone. That act of kindness not only had the man on crutches smiling, but Austin and I as well. It can have a rippling effect on everyone around you.

Austin wins my nicest person of the day award, hands down.

Kindness to you all,
Janae

2 comments:

  1. Austin is a great kid! Thanks for this reminder. Even small and simple things can really make a difference to someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so sweet, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete